Rice Preparations

Google

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Eggy Wacky on Congee

Eggy wacky on congee
Are you staring at the egg? What’s the drama on it? Well, since I am in Angola and Angolans don’t celebrate fancy Halloween like carving pumpkins or wearing masks, I decided to have my egg to appear wacky just to have the spirit of Halloween season even just in my meal.

Congee or Rice Soup, otherwise popularly known in Philippines as “lugaw”. This is one of my favorite comfort foods. When I get some nasty indigestion problem, (if u know what I mean) this is the kind of food I go for. Logically, rice has loads of starch so it functions as a thickening agent. (if u know what I mean! J)

This is not a soul food but it reminds me of my late Dad, who used to make this for me especially when I am not feeling quite well. I can’t be home for his death anniversary which was the other day, November 14, to be exact. He has been in my thoughts more often these days.

This kind of food brings me some childhood memories especially during rainy days, it’s a great comfort food. It’s quite rainy November here in Luanda and I’m really feeling not quite well. I got a nasty stomach pain, slight fever which is on and off and nasty cough. I really long for some comfort food and I wish somebody would do it for me. Hubby doesn’t know how so okay I made my way to the kitchen. Lugaw is usually eaten while still hot; this food gives warmth to the body therefore it is considered as comfort food.

In relation to me getting sick this season, it is a belief in our place, Negros Province, and I don’t know if all regions have the same belief in Philippines, that when somebody feels sick especially during or around All Souls ’ Day that some beloved departed had visited or tried to keep in touch with that person. We call it in Bisaya “ Hangop” or “kalag” according to the oldies. It is a belief that had been passed on from generation to generation. Personally I don’t believe it. I’d like to think that it is just coincidence no matter how many times I’ve witnessed the same coincidence to kids getting sick during “kalag-kalag” (all souls’ season) and have the kids wear red to get rid of the spirits of departed loved ones. It is believed that the red color drives away such ghostly spirits! I don’t believe it now, but it worked to me before! I didn’t wear red this time! LOL.. I think it was just an ordinary flu maybe ‘coincidence’ to the subject! What a wacky story!

Anyways, here’s how to make it:

Boil egg for 10 minutes or until done, cracked the shell and soaked in a bowl of soy sauce for about 30 minutes (the longer the better). Peel off the shell when ready to use. The result would be like a wacky, brainy-look and weird egg! But it tastes just like an egg of course!

To make the congee, wash the rice until water runs clear to get rid of excess starch. Add plenty of water, like 1: 4 ratio; I cup rice, 4 cups water or stock. Bring to boil and stir constantly until it thickens. Season with soy sauce and pepper in the last minute. I wish I have spring onions to garnish some, unfortunately I don’t have.


7 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Minnette said...

Dear Grace;

Your entry is the first one for Lasang Pinoy 4! Galing!

Have you tried using left-over rice for the congee?

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Grace Ediza Virlouvet said...

Hi Minnette, was I d first?? Lol got weird internet connection here in Luanda, jst making sure I'm making it coz sometimes I cant connect! Nope I haven't tried left over rice, that's a good idea.. I've tried champorado for left over rice..

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Stef said...

hey grace, thanks for joining and sharing your story with us. you don't have green onions? let me know if you'd like me to send you some seeds. they're really easy to grow.

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Grace Ediza Virlouvet said...

Hi Stef, nopeI really cant find spring onions, the long slender leaves that we have in Phil. I saw some leeks, but the leaves are useless for me, how can I get some onion seeds? I love dem for garnish specially 4 pancit!

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Minnette said...

onga pala...you forgot to put the technorati tag at the end!

type this as is at the end of your entry:

this post is part of lasang pinoy 4

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger iska said...

hi grace. i like lugaw w/ boiled egg also. by the way, your egg is very much similar to my tea eggs. :)

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Karen said...

This entry is just perfect for not-so-perfect days.

Thank you for joining Lasang Pinoy, Grace! Hoping to see more of your cooking in the next events!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

chivePage>

Powered by Blogger